Virtual Private Cloud: The Benefits it Holds for Your Business
Determining your needs and fulfilling them in the best possible way at the most cost-effective price become important components of your decision when choosing a cloud solution. We all know that public cloud is the most cost-effective cloud solution, but what about your mission-critical data that needs more security? You might want to consider virtual private cloud.
WHAT IS VIRTUAL PRIVATE CLOUD?
Virtual private cloud is a private network within public cloud infrastructure. It lets you provision a private, isolated section of cloud infrastructure where you can launch resources on-demand in a virtual network that you define. Using a public cloud environment gives businesses the flexibility and benefits of a cloud, such as scalability and reduced IT costs. Adding a private network within the public cloud environment adds enhanced security features to the public cloud for sensitive company data.
Adopting a virtual private cloud strategy acts as the first step to utilizing more mature public cloud services and incorporates elements of automated workload management, self-service interfaces and chargeback, and allows users to maximize utilization of their server by sharing resources within the environment. A blog post by Wired in 2012 showed that 42 percent of companies are utilizing a form of public cloud computing. We predict that virtual private cloud will be the next phase as companies look for a way to host critical data in public cloud environments.
BENEFITS OF VIRTUAL PRIVATE CLOUD
There are many benefits to using virtual private cloud as your IT solution. It is a cost-effective solution that allows businesses the security they need without the expensive infrastructure. Key benefits virtual private cloud gives users:
- Scalability – Allows you to add resources on-demand to accommodate additional users and allows you to scale up and down as workloads change and develop.
- Automation – Removal of manual processes to dynamically provision virtual machines.
- Security – Traffic to and from your cloud infrastructure stays within the corporate firewall without crossing the Internet. Cloud administrators are able to set policies to specify which users are allowed to access cloud resources.
- Performance – Enhanced performance is a direct result of the scalability and automation components because resources are available on-demand and the infrastructure necessary to support these resources is always available.
- Control – Virtual Private Cloud allows you complete control over the data stored in a public cloud as well as incoming and outgoing traffic. Monitoring programs facilitate an overview of your environment at all times.
Only designated users are able to access the cloud environment, giving you peace of mind that you have control over the traffic moving within their cloud. Further, the cloud’s performance increases because of the decreased number of users. In-and-out traffic in the cloud is reduced, which stabilizes the predictability of bandwidth and provides a better performing cloud environment.
HOW TO USE VIRTUAL PRIVATE CLOUD
While you may utilize the benefits from virtual private cloud internally, you may also choose to offer this to your customers as another source of revenue. Providing virtual private cloud services to existing customers is an easy way to give your customers accessibility to a cloud environment while using resources already at your disposal. Virtual private cloud also gives your customers increased levels of scalability and the ability to customize their solution.
There are three ways to provide virtual private cloud to your customers: white label cloud, using virtual private cloud for internal business purposes or purchasing cloud infrastructure.
- White label cloud provides a branded public cloud solution through a wholesale model that you can offer to your customers without purchasing infrastructure.
- Using virtual private cloud for internal business purposes allows you to purchase a cloud environment from a provider and reduces cost by helping you consolidate infrastructure. Further, it increases security in your cloud and provides scalability for your business.
- Purchase cloud infrastructure, from which your customers can directly purchase virtual private cloud environments. This option also gives you the flexibility to run your internal cloud applications and servers on the same infrastructure.
Virtual private cloud provides potential for companies as a viable IT solution. For companies looking to migrate toward the cloud in a safe and secure way, this is a flexible offering that can be used in any workplace. Using virtual private cloud helps you streamline your business processes in a secure environment. Additionally, offering it to your customers creates a new revenue stream for your business and offers another, more secure solution. As we continue moving forward with adopting cloud services, the increased number of virtual private cloud adopters will continue to climb.